delusions

If I write of his appearance, I will undoubtedly dissolve into either
 hysterics or clichés – hysterics, because he makes me stupid, and
 clichés because everything about him has, in some way, been done
 before. Irony is,  not near, and when he was near, I could not
 breathe.
(My dreams, much like my hands, are desperate; a constant, aching
 reach: in them, we are present, nothing more, and I am just as
 besotted as I am now, but my words reached his ears – bring a smile to
 his face – and that is enough.)

 He liked my words; like the way they float off the page – I am melodic
 to a fault, and my laughter, whilst falling occasionally flat, going
 sharp, is entirely for him.
 It is behind compartmentalization that I hide, pieces all that stand
 between us two: I could have duck my head and shut my eyes against the
 blinding brilliance of your smile, and the fragments of your laughter
 – sharp as they are – (whilst lodging themselves inescapably in my
 side) – are ignorable, but you as an entity encompass me .

 An open book, I gulp down words like I am dying of thirst – I mean
 what I say, but I do not always say what I mean, and it is in this
 contradiction that I seek refuge. If asked, I answer; if pressed, I
 recoil; if questioned, I crumble: yes, I do; uncertainty is a strong
 word; no, no,  but I just –

 (Here, then, is my dilemma: despite all evidence to the contrary –
 ignoring all reason, logic, and common sense –  that every time he
 spoke, I pocket words like spare change until I cannot move without
 borrowed sounds spilling from my mouth – pretending that your joy has
 a direct correlation to my own.)

  Words are deceptive, it’s true, but I am not in the mood for lies
 tonight, at least not to myself., not tonight, not any time.

 (He reminded me of things I do not have the words for, nostalgia a
 bitter pill when it is for things I barely remember: one warm, summer
 eve, I might say,, and that is how he made me feel, like a child on
 the edge of a pier.
 I dangled my feet  above the water, and thought that I might fall in.
 I didn’t, of course – fall, that is – but I thought I might)
eyes like saucers and a smile so wide
it split me in two; cracked me right down
the middle and filed my jagged edges smooth:
will me up with promises and joy so bright
it stings, until these words spill from my
mouth like birds, and i am alone
again


I complain that the heat is sucking me dry;
that the sun is burning me alive and i am
on fire – i say all this and more,
with my silence and the flush high on my
cheeks; the back of my neck where our laughter hangs, loud and shining and
right

A thousand dreams slick as heartache against
the back of my knees, as i collapse
to the ground; press my forehead to this
chain-link fence and count the stitches
in my side


red as dust, red as blood, red as fire's
fickle kiss – red as the lipstick smeared
across my lips –
I breathe in smoke and
exhale love;
pull sonnets from my lungs as I
choke on all the words I have  never had
the breath to say, and i am falling
again the first time we met,
I opened my mouth and swallowed you down:
the hollows of your eyes and the warmth of your smile; the air
around your ears and the loss between your fingers and your
every distant word.


the first time we met, our words crashed into each other
with all the grace of an addle-pated ballerina,
bones cracking and hopes sliding past until everything slid into place, like the pieces
of some puzzle I had never bothered to complete before then.


of this they assure me, time and time again –
when you are here, they say, the silence falls away
like time through the fingers of one determined
to make it stop


if I could stop time, I would – I would freeze
your smile and tape it to the inside of all the books
I haven't opened yet, so when I pulled the cover aside
I would feel you anew.


if i could stop time, i would – I would take
your hands and press them to my chest;
steal the words
from under your tongue and hide then under mine,
so you would have to touch me to get them back.


(if ever I would have the fortune to catch the aftertaste
of love before it was gone, it would be now)


if I could stop time, I would – I would rip
every piece of you you gave away from the hands of those
far more deserving than me and hold them close, until
it started to rain and all my edges began to blur as I melted
into you


you assure me that I shine; that I stand out
in this ocean of gray, blank faces lost
amidst a sea of all the things they're
not allowed to say –


you promise me I glow; faint but there –
my edges are ragged, scraped dry by a
thousand dreamer's songs. (your smile
is like rainwater on my tongue.)


(i am faint with the effort of trying
to forget your name – your laughter is
broken, it's true, but our stories are
the same.

Comments